Subject: Re: Lousy setup program defeats users with disabilites.
From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:58:19 -0700

Nicholas,

Douglas Englebart, usually credited as the inventor of the mouse, also 
developed a "chording" keyset. By "chording" is meant the use of 
simultaneous combinations of keys instead of just single keys at a time. 
Thus without moving your fingers from the 4 or 5 keys, they can produce all 
the usual letters, numbers, punctuation, etc. One hand stays on the mouse 
and the other on the chordset. It's more efficient, but people weren't 
enthusiastic about learning the chording (it seems that nowadays, people 
don't even bother learning to touch type!), so the chordset was abandoned 
even though the mouse was retained.

Now, please stop swearing in public, OK?

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 16:52 2002-06-18, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>--- Robert Praetorius <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > prefer to use keyboard shortcuts, and will probably continue to do so
> > until an Engelbart-style chordset ships standard with PCs:-)  I do find
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>What the $@$! is that!?!?
>
>Cheers,
>Nicholas

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/