Subject: Re: Rebase 1.5-1: Causes invalid page fault
From: Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]>
To: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:21:58 -0700 (PDT)

Jason,

> 
> Hmm...  I just noticed that maybe the SymbolPath argument should be ""
> (i.e., the empty string) and not 0 (i.e., the null pointer).  Please try
> the attached patch.  Does this fix rebase for you?

Yes and no,

Here's what's happening:

1)I run it on the first two files and it works (though not really as
you'll see later on):

$ rebase -d -b 0x68000000 -o 0x10000 cygXpm-X4.dll cygXpm-noX4.dll
C:\Cygnus\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-X4.dll: new base = 67ff0000, new size = 10000 
                                                                   
C:\Cygnus\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-noX4.dll: new base = 67fe0000, new size =
10000

2)I run it on cygXpm-X4.dll cygXpm-noX4.dll cygbz21.0.dll, and it
pagefaults.

3)I run it on cygbz21.0.dll alone and it pagefaults.

Now here's the *Interesting part*

4)I run file on all three and the results are:

$ file cygXpm-X4.dll
cygXpm-X4.dll: MS-DOS executable (EXE), OS/2 or MS Windows
$ file cygXpm-noX4.dll
cygXpm-noX4.dll: MS-DOS executable (EXE), OS/2 or MS Windows
$ file cygbz21.0.dll
cygbz21.0.dll: MS Windows PE Intel 80386 console DLL

So it "works" on the dll's you say are corrupted but it won't work on the
other dll's which are intact.  Now how did these dll's get corrupted in
the first place is beyond me.  The further question is if they are indeed
really corrupt?  I haven't noticed any problems with X, so I assume they
aren't.  What is your thoughts on this?  I'm thinking I should run through
gdb with a file like cygbz21.0.dll.  Also, I have installed the Platform
SDK, so what arguments should I try with the rebase utility that comes
with it?

Cheers,
Nicholas

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/