Subject: Re: Rebase 1.5-1: Causes invalid page fault
From: Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 04:51:16 -0700 (PDT)

Jason,

Forgetting about apache, I want to focus on why rebase isn't working on
WindowsME.  First a question:  In the archives you were never clear about
which dll's should *NEVER* be included in the list to be rebased?  Also,
since these types of questions are coming up every now and then, I'm
willing to write a faq the list on how to use rebase, if you want....

As to my particular issue, I went and recompiled rebase without stripping
it and included debugging symbols.  I thought I'd give you the output of
DrMingw when I run rebase in the following way (provided by Chuck in an
earlier e-mail):
rebase -d -b 0x68000000 -o 0x10000 cygXpm-X4.dll cygXpm-noX4.dll \
     cygbz21.0.dll cygbz2-1.dll cygform5.dll cygform6.dll \
     cyggdbm.dll cyghistory4.dll cyghistory5.dll cygintl.dll \
     cygitcl30.dll cygitk30.dll cygjbig1.dll cygjpeg6b.dll cygmenu5.dll \
     cygmenu6.dll cygncurses++5.dll cygncurses++6.dll cygncurses5.dll \
     cygncurses6.dll cygpanel5.dll cygpanel6.dll cygpcre.dll \
     cygpcreposix.dll cygpng2.dll cygpng10.dll cygreadline4.dll \
     cygreadline5.dll cygregex.dll cygssl.dll cygtcl80.dll \
     cygtclreg80.dll cygtiff3.dll cygtk80.dll cygz.dll \
     /usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/*.dll \
     /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/*.dll

Here's what Dr. Mingw says:
REBASE.EXE caused an Illegal Instruction at location 00000002.

Registers:
eax=aeebeeab ebx=0000000c ecx=0077fbac edx=84636178 esi=84636080
edi=0077fbe8
eip=00000002 esp=0077f948 ebp=0077f974 iopl=0         nv up ei ng nz na pe
nc
cs=0187  ss=018f  ds=018f  es=018f  fs=4aef  gs=0000            
efl=00010282

Call stack:
00000002
7B967382  IMAGEHLP.DLL:7B967382  ReBaseImage64
7B96711B  IMAGEHLP.DLL:7B96711B  ReBaseImage
0040154C  REBASE.EXE:0040154C  main  rebase.c:71
int main(
	int argc = 86,
	char * * argv = &0x007909d9
)
004010EC  REBASE.EXE:004010EC
00401203  REBASE.EXE:00401203
BFF7B9E4  KERNEL32.DLL:BFF7B9E4  IsDBCSLeadByte
BFF7B896  KERNEL32.DLL:BFF7B896  IsDBCSLeadByte
BFF7A24F  KERNEL32.DLL:BFF7A24F  MakeCriticalSectionGlobal

Ok next, I ran gdb on it and here are the results with a backtrace:
Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.

0x00000002 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000002 in ?? ()
#1  0x7b967382 in _libkernel32_a_iname ()
#2  0x7b96711b in _libkernel32_a_iname ()
#3  0x0040154c in main (argc=43, argv=0x8a0a20) at rebase.c:58

I hope that this might provide some better information for you.  Is there
any other source of information that can help resolve this problem?

Cheers,
Nicholas

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/