Subject: Re: Cygwin + Samba = Permission Denied
From: Milos Komarcevic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Ryan T. Sammartino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:30:26 +0100

I'm experiencing the exact same problem here as reported earlier:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-04/msg00702.html

I have tried the solution proposed in Chris Metcalf's FAQ
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-04/msg01021.html)
but that did not do the trick. I can read the files ok, but there is
still the problem of writing as described in the post above:

cygwin(MK329PC)~$ ls -l foo
-rwxrwx---    1 mk329    administ       81 Jun 17 19:21 foo
cygwin(MK329PC)~$ cp foo /cygdrive/z
cp: cannot create regular file `/cygdrive/z/foo': Permission denied
cygwin(MK329PC)~$ ls -l /cygdrive/z/foo
-rwx------    1 mk329    divb            0 Jun 17 19:21 /cygdrive/z/foo

I cannot change the settings on the Samba server (and don't know
what's in smb.conf - probably "security = user") because I'm in a
big institution and do not have access to it, and don't think the
administrators would like the idea of fudging with a working system.

But why would that be neccessary anyway? If Windows can do it with no
problems, so should Cygwin with appropriate passwd and group files?

Hope that someone can provide a definite answer,

Regards,

Milos 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/