Subject: RE: compile gcc 3.1 under cygwin
From: Marcus Elderic Koenig <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:33:26 +0000 (UTC)
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

"Dockeen" <[email-masked]> wrote in 
news:[email-masked]:

> One thing that gave me problems, and I should have known better is
> that it is not a good idea to do your configure, make bootstrap,
> make install steps from within the source directory you created
> when you unzipped and untarred the gcc source.
> 
> I put my source in a directory called srcdir, which is within 
> another directory called objdir.  I run all of my commands from
> objdir, not srcdir.
> 
> One question for comparison purposes David, my configure takes
> a couple of minutes, make bootstrap takes about an hour, and
> make install takes a couple of minutes.  I am installing on a
> 1.1 GHz PIII, XP Pro, and I am building C,C++ and F77.  What
> does your install typically run?
> 
> Wayne Keen

exactly that was the problem :)

I ran it from within the source dir. This overwrote some
base Makefiles I think.

it took about 1.5 hours on my Celeron 500 to compile it.
configure took long, too.
install was handled in minutes.

thankx for the help, btw :)
have a nice day.

-elderic

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/