Subject: Re: cvs-1.11.2 test release
From: Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 05:37:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Charles Wilson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Withdrawn.
> 
> (a) I've found a few bugs with this release
> 
> (b) in attempting to push upstream the patches our version of cvs has 
> been using for the past 18 months, I encounted stiff resistance.  Okay, 
> not actually resistance -- just utter apathy.  It seems that for all 
> intents and purposes the official cvs tree is NOT undergoing any active 
> development.  I received a suggestion to look into cvsnt -- which has 
> now been backported to unix and is no longer a "windows only" port, as 
> of Feb 22, 2002.
> 
> This sounds like a good idea.  In the long term, we should be able to 
> leverage the cvsnt support for
>    1) :pserver: running as a standalone service under LOCALSYSTEM, or 
> from inetd(?).
>    2) :ntserver: protocol, which uses NT authentication directly to 
> change user contexts, when operating within an NT domain
>    3) active development

Chuck,

This sounds all good and fine, but I am faced with the following issues
(after a *brief* scan of the cvsnt webpage):

A)Most projects use CVS, why the hell would the development of the CVS be
dead?  Forgive me assumptions, but I thought the CVS project was one of
those key GNU projects?  Or is everyone migrating to subversion now?  It
seems like patches are being applied to the tree and some work is being
done.  Perhaps you should apply to become a member of the CVS project so
you can just import your patches on your own.  This apathy concerns me
greatly from both a linux and cygwin standpoint.  I usually welcome
change, but I think sticking with the tried and true CVS might be a good
idea.

B)CVSnt on Windows seems to be nt/2000/xp-centric, what pitfalls can those
of us running ME/9x expect?  (This may be a question for those who have
tried the cvsnt on cygwin

C)Will it be MingW or native Cygwin based?  Although you did hint about
unix support, you didn't mention this explicitly...

D)Is there any functionality in the current Cygwin CVS that CVSnt wouldn't
be able to provide?  (I.E. SSH, etc.)

Forgive these flurry of questions, but I feel compelled to ask for myself
and undoubtly for others, as well.  I believe, no matter what, that you'll
arrive at the appropriate decision.

Cheers,
Nicholas

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/