Subject: Re: How to simplify cygwin+perl application deployment
From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:01:14 -0400
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Should be also no problem to bundle
> single modules for individual setup.

Not entirely true.  There is a database file 'perllocal.pod' within 
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/ that must be updated by the perlmake install 
process.  It's best to not update this file at all, if you are creating 
perl modules that others will install.

You can skip the 'update perllocal.pod' step by doing 'make pureinstall' 
  -- this is what I did back when I was packaging perl modules as RPMS 
for perl5.005_62-cygwinb20-991109.  I used the makerpm.pl script 
(slightly modified) to turn each perl module into an rpm.

Of course, you need rpm.exe for this to work...which is not yet 
available as a standard cygwin package.  You can get makerpm.pl here:
  http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/perl-contrib/index.html

--Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/