Subject: Re: Updated Tcl Tk and Tix
From: Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]>
To: "S. L." <[email-masked]>, Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 05:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

> > There's probably just a handful of people using the XFree version of
> Tk
> > under Cygwin, and that's one of the reasons I never bothered to add it
> > to the configuration. I did do that a long time ago when I needed it
> for
> > the just the reason you mention. If you want to try this, here's a
> > starting point: Use --with-x when configuring; cd into the Unix
> directory
> > when you see --with-x specified, and build everything without -mwin32.
> > There needs to be a few other tweaks, but that's really the big part
> of
> > it. In a sense, we use the two Cygwin "personalities" -- a POSIX layer
> > with X11, and a POSIX layer with Windows GDI.
> [...]

Mumit,

The reason there is only a handful of people using this is because this
functionality hasn't really been advertised as being available.  I'm sure
that this can be fixed by minor modifications to the Makefile.am /
configure.in based on you recommendations.  Since you did do this awhile
back, can you post (on your website) your modifications?  The biggest
issue I had is not with TK but with TCL using Windows paths as opposed to
POSIX paths.  This breaks the test scripts on an number of packages, for
example the berkeley db.  How would you propose dealing with this issue,
short of having to modify every tcl script that uses POSIX paths?  As for
why wait until GCC 3.1 point, that was a comment made by Chuck, so I'll
let him explain that if he cares to.

> I cannot keep from replying.
> While Mumit, "silently" just states the POSIX as a de facto relation
> with
> "his" (SIC! :) tcl/tk, ignoring any diversion, in Nicholas' message
> there is
> still confusion. This confusion is motivated by the actual state of
> tcl/tk
> distributed with cygwin. Which is a mingw application.
> So, for the cygwin sake I would just point here that the first case
> Nicholas
> presents, i.e. :
> 
> "TWO tk/tcl's:  one that uses mingw/w32api,"
> 
> it's OT. Given the fact that the nowadays "official" tcl/tk distributed
> with
> cygwin needs quite a lot of hack to be usable from cygwin applications,
> I
> would say that the net users need a tcl/tk that uses cygwin/w32api, a
> POSIX
> layer, _and_ which is "autotools enabled".

S.L.,

Now you've confused me, I'm not sure what you are getting at here... Why
is what I'm saying off topic?  The tcl/tk suite that uses mingw/w32api is
already distributed in the mainline distribution.  The point I was making
is the same one you summerized in the end, we need an autotools enabled
tcltk suite which generates both a Win32api and POSIX versions.  To
further elaborate, maybe the Win32 libraries ought to reside in the
win32api directory with it's own version of {Tk Tcl}Config.sh residing
there, too.  Perhaps wrapper scripts could be used, in the same manner as
autotools, to determine which binaries/configs should be used.  In any
event, this is just my take on some of the things which I've discussed
with other people.

Cheers,
Nicholas

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/