Subject: Re: What's the current status of setup.*.exe?
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:25:59 +0100

Email 3 of 3. Brand new download and installation using 2.249.2.1 after
clearing everything including registry entries.

Download and Install from Internet
c:\Cygwin + All + Unix

Infelicity 1. The default offering for the name of the installation
directory is "C:\cygwin". As we are occasionally reminded, the name of the
software is Cygwin, not CygWin or cygwin or .... I guess in this context the
lc/uc distinction is not critical, but could the default name be altered in
setup.exe?

c:\WINDOWS\Desktop
Direct
Choose ftp://mirrors.rcn.net
Click whirly near All-Default so that it reads All-Install
Click View

Painfully click all the Src? installation boxes including that for setup
(but leaving all of compface, keychain, regex as "n/a" to match Bin?)

Click Next

Everything whizzes away just fine, but surprisingly ...

Error 1: ... the download stage closes with the msgbox "Download Incomplete/
Try again? Yes/No" displayed. I click No.

Then installation commences.

Everything whizzes along just fine until

Error 2: "Warning - deleting c:\Cygwin/usr/src/expect-20010117-1/tcl so I
can make a directory there". This phenomenon has been described much better
than I can do so at

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-05/msg00720.html

Error 3: Something a bit weird happened apparently while installing
/usr/src/src/sed-3.02 [that was what was displayed in the progress window]
with the display of

"Cant open (null) for reading. No such file"

but actually I think this was probably something related to the installation
of the pesky src files for setup, since this same message makes a chronic
appearance at this stage, whenever an installation/upgrade is attempted.

Everything works fine up to the "Create 2 icons?" stage and thereafter, but
...

Error 4: ... the installation is finally completed with the diplayed message

Installation Incomplete. Check /setup.log.full for details.

HTH.

Fergus

Both setup.log and setup.log.full are incredibly long. Here are some
relevant (?) lines from setup.log:

2002/06/07 09:21:01 Installing
file://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fmirrors%2fsources.re
dhat.com%2fcygwin/release/rcs/rcs-5.7-3.tar.bz2
2002/06/07 09:21:01 compress_bz::error called
2002/06/07 09:21:02 Installing
file://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fmirrors%2fsources.re
dhat.com%2fcygwin/release/rcs/rcs-5.7-3-src.tar.bz2
2002/06/07 09:21:02 compress_bz::error called
2002/06/07 09:21:02 could not open /rcs-5.7-3/COPYING for reading in mklink
2002/06/07 09:21:02 Unable to schedule reboot replacement of file
c:\Cygwin/rcs-5.7-3/man/COPYING with c:\Cygwin/rcs-5.7-3/man/COPYING.new
(Win32 Error 2)
2002/06/07 09:21:02 could not open /rcs-5.7-3/COPYING for reading in mklink
2002/06/07 09:21:02 Unable to schedule reboot replacement of file
c:\Cygwin/rcs-5.7-3/src/COPYING with c:\Cygwin/rcs-5.7-3/src/COPYING.new
(Win32 Error 2)

and

2002/06/07 09:21:11 Installing
file://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fmirrors%2fsources.re
dhat.com%2fcygwin/release/sed/sed-3.02-1.tar.gz
2002/06/07 09:21:11 Installing
file://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fmirrors%2fsources.re
dhat.com%2fcygwin/release/sed/sed-3.02-1-src.tar.gz
2002/06/07 09:21:13 mbox note: Can't open (null) for reading: No such file
2002/06/07 09:21:49 Installing
file://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fmirrors%2fsources.re
dhat.com%2fcygwin/release/setup/setup-2.218.2.9-1-src.tar.bz2
2002/06/07 09:21:49 compress_bz::error called

and here are some relevant lines from setup.log.full

Installing file cygfile:///usr/src/src/sed-3.02/THANKS
Installing file cygfile:///usr/src/src/sed-3.02/TODO
compress::~compress called
2002/06/07 09:21:13 mbox note: Can't open (null) for reading: No such file
2002/06/07 09:21:49 Installing
file://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fmirrors%2fsources.re
dhat.com%2fcygwin/release/setup/setup-2.218.2.9-1-src.tar.bz2
For
filefile://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fmirrors%2fsource
s.redhat.com%2fcygwin/release/setup/setup-2.218.2.9-1-src.tar.bz2 ini digest
is9a2b1ee9d1d97208578b9535bb6018ec file digest is
9a2b1ee9d1d97208578b9535bb6018ec
2002/06/07 09:21:49 compress_bz::error called
Installing file cygfile:///usr/src/setup-2.218.2.9.tar.bz2
compress::~compress called

and

2002/06/07 09:34:20 running: command.com /c
c:\Cygwin\etc\postinstall\passwd-grp.bat
2002/06/07 09:34:21 mbox note: Installation incomplete.  Check
/setup.log.full for details
2002/06/07 09:34:50 Ending cygwin install

That's it: everything else in these files is completely unexceptionable.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/