Subject: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 06 Jun 2002 15:52:22 +0300
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Hi

I installed cygwin (recent beta) on a win98 computer somewhere on the local 
network. Works fine and I'm quite happy with it.

However, I want to use cygwin in my XP workstation on the same network.

I also admin a linux server on the same network which has sambe configured 
pretty well, and has many config files already, so I thought I'll mount my
home dir from there and keep all the files there, and hopefully be able to 
keep a minimal configuration on the workstation.

I created a network sare called "cygwin" on the win98 computer, and mapped it 
as N: in the XP. It is read-only.
I also mapped P: to the home directory from the linux server. It is writable.

I tried to run n:\bin\bash.exe , and got long delays, and all sorts of 
messages regarding /etc/profile.d/alias.sh not present . This was simply 
because '/' wasn't mounted.

I tried exporting the registry settings from the win98 computer and adjusting 
them. I managed to merge the modified file, but still bash does not see any 
mounted systems. How do cygwin programs know if they should look in the 
system or in the user settings?

Anyway: The original registry settings:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"
"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/]
"native"="n:/"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin]
"native"="n:/bin"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib]
"native"="n:/lib"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options]

The modified registry settings:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"
"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/]
"native"="n:/"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin]
"native"="n:/bin"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib]
"native"="n:/lib"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options]

Another problem I'll have: I'll have to mount something for /tmp . I figure
I'll use P:/tmp

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
http://www.gadot.org.il/tzafrir/

It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/