Subject: What's the current status of setup.*.exe?
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:37:22 +0100

Guys : Sorry, I've completely lost track of what is supposed to be the
current status of the setup executable. There are still occasional messages
to this list reporting glitches of one sort or another, almost all to do
with msgbox announcements about "incomplete" downloads or installations, or
failure to open "[null]" for reading; some problems with path/filenames
particularly with expect.*.src; recurrent reminders that setup.*.src files
are available for download; ... and so on. Some users report "Thanks,
everything now fine" after being referred to the latest setup snapshot.

Also differing problems with download-then-installation from the web;
installation from a local directory; installation from a home-made CD.
Reports of freezing.

Last night I ran a brand new and current installation from a local
directory, using the snapshot setup-2.249.2.1.exe in W98/SE, and experienced
all the problems described in para 1, though the installation proceeds
[seems to proceed] perfectly well if one simply presses the appropriate
"ignore and carry on" button. And despite the failure message at the end,
the entire installation completes [seems to complete] properly. Do you want
me to tell you about these installation problems?! or is everything related
to setup.*.exe now just a Me Too or a Me Again, and we're just waiting for
the poor guys who actually know what's needed [unlike me] to get around to
it? That's fine: this isn't a nag. I just want to know what to do with these
continuing And Guess What Happened To Me Then! reports ...

Thanks.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/