Subject: Re: text/binary problem since 20020530 snapshot
From: John Marshall <[email-masked]>
To: Ton van Overbeek <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:23:40 +0200

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 06:41:24PM +0200, Ton van Overbeek wrote:
> Since the 20020530 snapshot the default mode for open is binary.
[...]
> This turns out to be a serious problem for a cygwin hosted cross-compiler
> I am using: prc-tools (gcc for PalmOS. See http://prc-tools.sourceforge.net
> for details).

This (the fact that it turns into a serious problem for us) is probably
mostly a bug in prc-tools.  We're using GCC 2.95.3's cccp, and it's
opening files with open(O_RDONLY) when it really should be using
open(O_RDONLY|O_TEXT).  Whatever behaviour different Cygwins have,
we're currently asking for the wrong thing.

I had hoped that we'd update to GCC 3.x in time and just avoid this
problem (IIRC 3.x explicitly understands CRs), but it seems we'll have
to apply the same sort of O_TEXT patches as Cygwin's native GCC has.
No big deal (other than timing).

    John

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/