Subject: Re: Cygwin mounts not available when logged in over network
From: egor duda <[email-masked]>
To: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:37:33 +0400

Hi!

Tuesday, 04 June, 2002 Bob Friesenhahn [email-masked] wrote:

Please, keep this thread on-the-list. I'm intentionally setting
Reply-To: to the list address to indicate that i greatly prefer
answers to the list instead of personal e-mail.

BF> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, egor duda wrote:
>> If your drive z: is mapped network drive it wouldn't be available from
>> other login sessions. This has nothing to do with cygwin, it's
>> restriction of windows. To check this, just try to start cmd.exe from
>> your ssh session and type 'dir z:\' there.
>>
>> You should use //host/share/ unc-style paths instead of drive letters.

BF> This gets me to a "Permission denied" message.  When I created the
BF> "Z:" drive I had to enter a username and password.  What is the
BF> workaround?

BF> % mount //scooby/bfriesen /scooby2
BF> mount: warning - /scooby2 does not exist.
BF> % ls -l /scooby2
BF> /bin/ls: /scooby2: Permission denied

Again, this has nothing to do with cygwin. Try starting cmd.exe from
ssh session and type 'dir \\scooby\bfriesen' there. You'll get the
same "Permission denied" error.

It's a windows feature. If you run some program in the separate login
session, and want to use some network resource on remote host, you
should login to that host with appropriate credentials. On windows
nt, 2000 and xp it can be done, for instance, from cmd.exe's command
line using "net use" windows command. After successful login you
should be able to read \\scooby\bfriesen share from windows programs
and, consequentially, from cygwin programs too.

Egor.            mailto:[email-masked] ICQ 5165414 FidoNet 2:5020/496.19

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/