Subject: Re: Cygwin mounts not available when logged in over network
From: egor duda <[email-masked]>
To: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:47:12 +0400

Hi!

Sunday, 02 June, 2002 Bob Friesenhahn [email-masked] wrote:

BF> With the current release of Cygwin I am experiencing the bizzare
BF> problem that a samba mount which is mounted as drive "Z:" on my
BF> Windows XP system is available to Cygwin applications when accessed
BF> from a Windows console window (Cygwin default or rxvt), but does not
BF> appear to be mounted if I access the system via remote login with
BF> telnet, ssh, or xterm from a remote X11 server.

BF> In a console window 'ls /cydrive/z' lists the expected files but I see
BF> the error

BF>   /bin/ls: /cygdrive/z: No such file or directory

BF> if the shell is accessed over the network.  I assume that Cygwin's
BF> mount mapping is not being activated for some reason.

BF> I am currently using zsh as my shell, compiled under Cygwin, but the
BF> same problem occurs when using Cygwin's bash shell.

BF> Does anyone know the reason for this problem?  Is there a workaround?

If your drive z: is mapped network drive it wouldn't be available from
other login sessions. This has nothing to do with cygwin, it's
restriction of windows. To check this, just try to start cmd.exe from
your ssh session and type 'dir z:\' there.

You should use //host/share/ unc-style paths instead of drive letters.

Egor.            mailto:[email-masked] ICQ 5165414 FidoNet 2:5020/496.19

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/