Subject: Re: new to-do item
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Marc Gianzero <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 13:32:09 -0400

At 12:30 PM 6/2/2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Please check out the project web page for links to available information
>and ports:  http://cygwin.com/ .
>
>If you don't see what you need there, then the cygwin mailing list is
>the best place to make observations or get questions answered.
>Information on the mailing list is available at the project web page.
>
>For your convenience, I've reset the Reply-To: address to point to the
>cygwin mailing list.  I've also Cc'ed this reply there.
>
>
>On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 06:40:07AM -0800, Marc Gianzero wrote:
>>Chris,
>>
>>Hope you don't mind my emailing you directly, but that's all I have to go
>>with since there's no way for me to respond on the webpage.
>>
>>I don't want to "network" with another Linux box, I merely want to access my
>>Linux partitions on my SAME computer (it is dual boot).  My understanding is
>>Samba is for networking a Linux box to a Windows box, correct?

OK, I'll bite.  First, I'll say discussion of this is really off-topic for
this list.  Cygwin does not provide facilities (i.e. a driver) to access 
any file system.  It simply leverages the built-in understanding of file
systems from the underlying O/S.  From this, I think you can gather that
Cygwin will be able to access your local Linux partition if Windows can.
Now, although this is off-topic for this list, the discussion about 
available facilities which allow Windows to access your Linux partitions does
exist in the email archives for this list.  If you're curious, you can check 
this out to find the available Windows ext2 drivers and utilities.  What's 
there contains enough specifics that you should be able to find what you
need or at least find more appropriate pointers for this information.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/