Subject: Re: installing Cygwin from CD-ROM
From: Michael Wardle <[email-masked]>
To: "Peter A. Castro" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:16:59 +1000

Hi Peter

Peter A. Castro wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Michael Wardle wrote:
>>I downloaded the latest available Cygwin release (2.218) in full from a 
>>local mirror using wget, and burned it onto a CD (setup.exe is at the 
>>root level).  When I try to run setup.exe directly off the CD and point 
>>it at E:\ for packages, the installer seems to sit there idle, yet if I 
>>copy the CD's contents to a local hard disk and run setup from there, it 
>>works correctly.
>>
>>Any idea what the problem might be?
> 
> 
> What kind of system are you running on?  What's your burner software and
> what CD format/options are you setting?

AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
Microsoft Windows 98
Nero Burning ROM 5
ISO9660+Joliet/Mode 1/Single Session

(I don't know much about burning CDs, so I usually just opt for 
conservative defaults and try to ensure that I get Joliet and RockRidge 
if they're available in the burning software.)

In any case, the CD itself is readable, and the files all appear to be 
in the correct place with the correct names.

> I grab most all of Cygwin, burn to CD, and install from it on a fairly
 > regular basis and I've not seen this problem. When you copy the CD to
 > local disk, do you copy it completely?

Yes.

> I presume you create a subdirectory on the local disk any
> copy it to that?  As an off chance, try burning Cygwin under some
> toplevel directory, like E:\cygwin instead of having it at the root of
> the CD.

I thought that might have been the problem, but didn't have any more 
blanks I could use to test.

> Also, only copy the 'release' directory and the setup.* files. 

I copied all files at the root level, plus the release subdirectory.  I 
think this is equivalent to what you have said, plus md5.sum.  FWIW I 
also put some of the documentation from the Cygwin home page in a "docs" 
subdirectory at the root level.

Indeed, this was about all I could copy, as it came in at about 560 MiB, 
which is nearly a full ISO9660 CD.

> Just as an aside, I have seen a seemingly hanging condition while
> installing from a network mounted Windows Share (actually a Samba
> server).  Copying it locally did not solve the problem, however.  After
> some paring down of extraneous directories, I discovered that the
> toplevel directory 'xfree' was causing the hang.  If I renamed 'xfree'
> to, say, 'old_xfree' the hang didn't occur.  I have not had time to run
> setup under debug to shoot the problem.

That might be worth looking at, as I had also downloaded XFree86.

My installer also failed with an error about an unrecognized line or 
option in setup.ini.  It turned out that there was another setup.ini 
(other than the standard one at the same level as setup.exe) in a 
subdirectory called "ccache".  After removing that file, the installer 
worked fine.  Naturally the CD I burned did not include this file.

-- 
MICHAEL WARDLE
SGI Desktop & Admin Software
Adacel Technologies Limited

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/