Subject: Re: windows and cygwin compiled dll ?
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Hansen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:11:48 -0400

At 09:52 AM 5/28/2002, Stefan Hansen wrote:
> > At 07:32 AM 5/28/2002, Stefan Hansen wrote:
> > >Hi there,
> > >
> > >I want to add a, dll which I compiled under cygwin, to my MSVC++ project.
> > >If I am correct I need a lib file of this dll. How can I create this lib
> > >file ?
> > 
> > 
> > Why not just use the Cygwin .a import library?
>
>Linking whith .a (which i copy to .lib) is no problem. But during the
>execution i got an Access Violation.

Then it's unlikely that creating a .lib instead will help you.  The .lib
will be the same import library as the .a.  As a result, you'll see the 
same access violation.  If you really want to understand what's causing 
this problem, you'll want to debug it.  I'll point out as well that there
are messages in the email archives that discuss some of the issues and 
pitfalls of adding gcc-generated DLLs to MSVC EXEs.  There can be subtle
problems with this.  You may want to review the email archives to see if 
any of these previous discussions are pertinent to your case.

BTW, I redirected the discussion back to the list, since this is worthwhile
information for the email archives.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/