Subject: Re: unmodified mt source
From: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jon LaBadie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 12:46:05 +0200

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 02:57:19PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Corinna,
> I tried to get this to you directly as I did not think it list-relvant.
> It bounced however.  So I'll throw the question to all.
> 
> 
> You seem to be maintaining the mt program for cygwin.
> 
> Where do you get the unmodified gnu source for the mt program?
> In fact, where in general do you get the starting gnu source?

If you're downloading the mt(1) sources from the Cygwin distro
using setup.exe, you're getting the pristine sources.  Reason:
I don't get the starting sources anywhere else than from myself.
The mt(1) which is part of the Cygwin distro is completely
self-written.  A look into the copyright header in mt.c should
have given a hint ;-)

One reason is, that Cygwin's mt(1) uses fields in struct mtget,
which are Cygwin specific.  They contain information returned by
the Win32 tape API but which aren't supported by the standard
definition of struct mtget.

> I know of gnu.org and ftp.gnu.org.  Also sourceforge and freshmeat.
> Haven't found plain vanilla gnu mt anywhere.

Gnu mt(1) is part of the Gnu cpio package (and, just as a sidenote,
since the Cygwin cpio source package is the vanilla source, you
will find the Gnu mt(1) sources also by downloading the Cygwin cpio
source package).

Corinna

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Developer                                mailto:[email-masked]
Red Hat, Inc.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/