Subject: Re: cannot find gcc
From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 21:49:13 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

jzhou:

<[email-masked]> wrote:
> got "command not found" error. ... Do I need to install GCC
> separately?

Yes.  I also recently installed Cygwin on Win2k and ran into this.  The
basic install just gives you the run-time environment.  The solution I
found was:

1.  Run Cygwin setup.

2.  Choose "Next" at the splash screen.

3.  Choose "download from Internet" and "Next".

4.  Pick a directory on your hard drive where you want the downloaded
    packages to go ("E:\download\c\cygwin\download-2.218.2.9" in my
    case) and choose "Next".

5.  Choose your Internet connection ("Direct Connection" in my case) and
    choose "Next".

6.  Pick your favorite download site (ftp://planetmirror.com in my
    case) and choose "Next".

7.  Go through the package tree, expanding subtrees, and picking the
    packages you want.  For example:

        Devel
            binutils
            cvs
            gcc
            gdb
            libintl1
            make
            mingw-runtime
            rcs
        Editors
            vim
        Interpreters
            perl

    Choose "Next".  Packages will be download (but not installed).

8.  Run Cygwin setup again.

9.  Choose "Next" at the splash screen.

10. Choose your Cygwin root directory, whom to install for, and default
    text file type ("C:\cygwin", "All Users", and "DOS" in my case) and
    choose "Next".

11. Pick the directory on your hard drive where your downloaded packages
    are ("E:\download\c\cygwin\download-2.218.2.9" in my case) and
    choose "Next".

12. I'm not logged in as Administrator, so that's as far as I can see.
    The rest is from memory.

13. At the package tree, locate the packages you just downloaded and
    make sure they are checked for installation.  Do the install.

14. Choose if you want desktop and/or start menu icons.

HTH,

David

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/