Subject: Re: Latest Setup.exe Fails (Win2k)
From: Lee Goddard <[email-masked]>
To: Pavel Tsekov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:18:27 +0200

At 16:48 24/05/2002, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

>LG> I sent in some mails last week about the CYGWIN setup.exe failing.
>LG> I notice the EXE has been updated, but my situation is still exactly
>LG> the same.
>
>You dont give any details... What is the version string of your
>setup.exe (it's on the first page)... Where does it fail ?
>What steps do you choose to make it crash ?

Sorry, thought you may have seen last week's mails.
The situation is identical, all exec pt that I'm now using
the latest Setup.exe downlaoded from the CYGWIN homepage.
Claims to be version 2.218.2.9.

Problem is that the program runs, downloads a list of mirrors,
and then says "This space left intentionally blank" (or similar)
and then hangs, using 100% CPU.

Doesn't matter which mirror I use, if I'm not told that my setup.exe
is newer than theirs, then the above problem.

Last run, it created a directory for 'local packages':
ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.umbc.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin

This has just setup.ini in it, which is 2367 lines long
including the final blank line. Last two lines marked @
are 'zlib' and '_update-info-dir'.  Not attaching the file
incase the whole list doesn't want it.

A dir, CYGWIN, is created (in the default place) containing
three sub-dirs: etc, packages, var.   The first of those contains
a dir named setup: this contains last-cache, last-mirror and
timestamp files. The cygwin/packages dir contains a dir:
ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.nas.nasa.gov%2fmirrors%2fcygwin.com%2fpub%2fcygwin
that includes a file setup.ini -- I'm surprised that there are
two setup.ini files... Anyway, /cygwin/var contains setup.log
and setup.log.full.

Setup.log.full says:

         2002/05/24 19:12:00 Starting cygwin install, version 2.218.2.9
         2002/05/24 19:12:00 Current Directory: C:\Documents 
and                 Settings\Administrator\Desktop
         2002/05/24 19:12:02 source: network install
         2002/05/24 19:12:03 root: C:\cygwin binary system
         2002/05/24 19:13:11 Ending cygwin install

There is no "C:\cygwin binary system" dir on my dirve,
I've never typed those letters, but I know nothing about this
setup system: all was all fine when I last installed CYGWIN
a couple of years ago.

I'm running an AMD Athalan 1400, Win2k SP2.

Anything else I can do to help track this down, please
let me know!

Thanks for reading!
Lee

>LG> Do I need an INTEL or something horrible?
>
>Nope!

Lee Goddard
perl -e "while(1){print rand>0.5?chr 47:chr 92}"

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/