Subject: Re: name: GNU/cygwin system
From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:51:13 -0400
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> 
> You're working from an assumption that cygwin is an unknown project.
> It is currently the most popular project on sources.redhat.com, so I
> don't think it is suffering too badly from lack of awareness.

I don't disagree with your conclusion, Chris, but you're using a flawed 
model.  So *what* if cygwin is the most popular project on 
sources.redhat? Sure, sources.redhat hosts gcc and binutils -- but how 
many people actively hack gcc, and/or download it directly from its 
homepage?  Most people just get gcc (and bzip, and ... ) from their 
distributor.  Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people use gcc 
daily (now THAT's publicity) -- but only a tiny tiny tiny fraction will 
ever visit sources.redhat.

With cygwin, everyone who uses it will at some point visit 
sources.redhat...that is cygwin's primary locus of publicity.  The other 
projects have many more publicity locii.

However, I do agree that cygwin is pretty well known -- if only as the 
black sheep of the free software family (Imagine! Allowing Gatesians to 
use GNU software.  The horror!)  Or better, as the dangling carrot of 
the free software world within the walls that Bill built.

--Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/