Subject: Re: [Patch] make 3.79.1-5 vpath directive in file 'read.c'
From: "Johan Bezem" <[email-masked]>
To: CygWin Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:46:21 +0200
Newsgroups: csk.development

Hi,

sorry, I've been on vacation for two weeks, and now trying to catch up
with the mailing list.
Since supplying the patch, and already trying 3.79.1-7 in experimental
mode, I've come to an understanding about the FIXME comments, asking
whether such a conversion should only be applied when not in 'unixy'
mode ("unixy_shell != 0").
1. In the file vpath.c, the VPATH variable and the GPATH variable are
handled differently (GPATH only converts when unixy_shell == 0, VPATH in
any case); this is at least inconsequent, I'd suggest to remove the
'unixy_shell' condition in the GPATH case.
2. In the file read.c, the vpath directive includes a check for
"!unixy_shell", which I would like to have removed. The patch I provided
had no such condition, which let me use DOS-like pathnames for
VPATH/GPATH/vpath, whithout the need for explicit conversion, even when
using /bin/sh or bash from the CygWin distribution. This comes
in handy, since my makefiles are to be platform independent for Windows
(using CygWin) and several flavours of Unix where no cygpath/realpath
utilities are available, of course. Yes, ifeq can test for platforms,
but the makefile tends to become less readable if every path
specification must be bracketed with ifeq/else/endif's.

Is there a reason to retain the checks for "!unixy_shell"?

Regards,

Johan Bezem
CSK Software AG

PS: The cygwin website seems to be down at the moment, so I couldn't
check whether the released 3.79.1-7 is exactly the same as the
experimental 3.79.1-7 I downloaded on May 12th.

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> 
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 10:44:05AM +0200, Johan Bezem wrote:
> >### ChangeLog ###
> >2002-04-22 Johan Bezem <[email-masked]>
> >
> >* read.c (read_makefile) [__CYGWIN__]: Added a check for an empty vpath
> >pathname when converting DOS to canonical pathnames.
> 
> There's a test version of make available now (or will be available soon
> on mirrors) which incorporates this patch.
> 
> If you can confirm that it works, I'll release it officially.
> 
> Send success or failure reports to the mailing list, please.
> 
> Thanks for the patch,
> cgf
> 
> --
> Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/