Subject: Re: GTK on cygwin
From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 05:03:38 -0400
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Just to add to the thread, I assume that if GTK+ can be built using mingw,
> it should be pretty easy to build it for native cygwin.  Have you tried
> just building it with Cygwin's gcc?

It's a really long story.  Short version:

windows port is on a separate branch from the trunk, and follows its own 
release cycle.

Long version:

Most people grab the "real" gtk+ (e.g. the unix one) and try to build 
that -- expecting the cygwin build to use MS graphics.  AFAIK, the 
windows stuff has not been merged.

  The windows branch can build in three ways: msvc makefiles, mingw 
makefiles (unmaintained), and mingw configury script (MSYS?).  Tor uses 
the third option.  However, it's unclear how well his native graphics 
stuff will merge with normal unixy event loops.  I'm not sure how 
divergent the mainline and winbranch are.

Finally, there's the whole "which version" problem.  There's 1.2.x, 
1.3.x, and now pre-2.0.  Which one are you talking about?  mainline is 
real close to 2.0; winbranch is back on 1.3.x somewhere.  But most 
people who attempt to build gtk/glib on cygwin use the 1.2.x branch 
(Steven O'Brien, etc) -- and do an X build.

Personally, I'd like to see an X-based version first -- that seems 
easiest.  Then perhaps a cygwin port of the windows branch -- but Tor 
doesn't seem too thrilled about that enterprise.  This would probably 
work better once the windows branch is merged back into the mainline 
code -- but I dunno when that will happen.

As far as 2.0 goes, which requires pkgconfig and iconv....well, 
pkgconfig is already an official cygwin package (many recent changes to 
pkgconfig were instigated by Tor to make the MSYS/mingw configury 
better).  iconv has been available on my testing site for weeks now, but 
after all the blather and complaining, nobody has volunteered to 
maintain it.  And NO, it will not be me.

--Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/