Subject: Re: SSHD under SYSTEM account: r e s o l v e d :-)
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: "Harig, Mark A." <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:05:29 +0200

Mark schrieb:

> I've been working on a script to help make this easier, but I've been
> stalled.  This problem keeps coming up again and again.  We need
> something that diagnoses the problem better (incrementally finding each
> problem, for example, the file and directory permissions).  ssh provides
> little or no help in diagnosing the problem when it won't connect.

This is true.

There was one hint that was really golden: if you are in a domain and
want to connect just over LAN another box in the same domain, the passwd
and group files should be exact indentical since it is the same domain.
So at first make sure that the passwd files are identical.  Then look
that the permissions are correct all over, /home/you and /etc directory.

At last one point which needs to be investigated, if I'm in the passwd
file as gerrit with uid 11002 and gid 10512 is it needed that the files
in the /home/gerrit directory and subdirectories are owned be me and my
group?

I changed the ownership but I think at first it was a mess with my
passwd and group files.

OpenSSH setup just uses your current settings, so if the passwd & group
files are wrong, the ownership of the files will be wrong.

Ah, and I'm sitting on a PDC and in a domain so I'm using only
mkpasswd -d and mkgroup -d now since we have no local users besides
the default.

Many Thanks again for all the help,

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/