Subject: Re: umount doesn't umount
From: Gilgamesh Nootebos <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 01:12:04 +0200

David E Euresti wrote:

> 
> I think it doesn't like the colon.  Any ideas?
> 

W2K PRO NL shows this:

D:\temp>mkdir foo:bar
De mapnaam is ongeldig.

D:\temp>

Which is Dutch for: "The directory name is invalid"

IIRC a ':' is only valid when adressing a Drive and cannot be used in 
Directory names

Creating a mount wich points to such a name(mount doesn't care if there 
is a physical directory to point to or not) sounds to me as a highly 
dangerous thing to do. Just like depending on case sensitive names to 
make a difference on *nix, which Windows(all of them) doesn't support 
and your environment breaks as a result of that. As a result of a : 
being somewhere where it shouldn't be, it doesn't surprise me that 
umount doesn't know what to do with it(I havent't read the source so I'm 
assuming that the result is 'undefined') and fails.

Using things like $ or # or any other valid characters in your filenames 
just isn't worth all the trouble it gets you in when trying to use 
scripts on them. It's a hell trying to escape things correctly and 
trying to prevent something from interpreting them.

These are just my EUR 0.02

Gilgamesh

-- 
Gilgamesh Nootebos (Elegant Relational Development)
@: [email-masked]
T: +31 36 54 77 100

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/