Subject: SSHD under SYSTEM account (was: Re: cygwin & opensshd on .net enterprise server)
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:11:26 +0200

Inc) schrieb:

>>I did copy him on the original note so he would be aware of the issue,
>>but at this point I have completely removed his version (including
>>deleting registry keys) and installed the cygwin environment. It appears
>>that all of cygwin works when run in a system owned command window, but
>>nothing works from an administrator account.

> Can you please acknowledge whether or not you read openssh*.README so that
> we know whether you've missed the obvious user rights settings necessary for
> the administrator account?

I read it and still have similar problems and there is this:

  "The system account does of course own that user rights by default."

That means SYSTEM is ok and it is the default if I let the
ssh-host-config do the service setup.  So I expect no problems here.
More:

  Unfortunately, if you choose that way, you can only logon with
  NT password authentification and you should change
  /etc/sshd_config to contain the following:

    PasswordAuthentication yes
    RhostsAuthentication no
    RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    RSAAuthentication no

Wow this is like a hammer.  That means I cannot use PublicKey
Authentication?  If I cannot use public key authentication, the whole
benefit (besides transfering passwords encrypted) is futsch...

If I let them try to guess my password several days there will be at
least one intruder every month...

Is this true that PublicKey auth isn't working? (I cannot believe it).

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/