Subject: RE: New setup uploaded - 2.218.2.8
From: "Harig, Mark A." <[email-masked]>
To: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:44:40 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert Collins [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 7:05 PM
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Harig, Mark A. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> > Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 12:42 AM
> 
> 
> > Should this behavior of setup.exe's searching the directory 
> > tree below the '/' mount point be documented, or should it 
> be changed?
> 
> Setup would only look under '/' if you chose the dos location 
> of '/' as
> your 'local package directory. If it's not clear that doing that is a
> 'bad thing', then we need to change that screen to make it obvious.
> 
> Cygwin setup wants a directory all to itself to use as it's package
> cache.
> 
> Rob
> 

I think I see now.  I was simply letting 'setup.exe' use its defaults.
It defaults to using 'c:\cygwin' for the Root Install Directory and
'c:\cygwin' for the Local Package Directory.  I assumed that setup was
searching in the '/' directory tree, but that was just a coincidence
because my '/' mount point is 'c:\cygwin'.  In fact, setup searches in
whatever location is provided for Local Package Directory.  I changed my
Local Package Directory setting to c:\cygwin\setup (a directory that did
not exist), and setup created the needed directory.  None of the parsing
errors that I reported earlier were generated because setup no longer
finds invalid 'setup.ini' files from other, non-setup packages.

How to make setup.exe more robust?  Because setup.exe is not the only
program to use the name 'setup.ini' and because the user can change the
location of Local Package Directory, my guess is that this problem will
keep occuring for users.  When setup.exe "identifies" errors in other
packages' setup.ini files, it will be, in effect, pointing to the
setting of Local Package Directory, but this isn't evident to the user.

Instead of searching the directory tree below whatever is set for Local
Package Directory, would it be possible for setup.exe only to look for
setup.ini at the top directory for that tree?  This would still allow
the user to change Local Package Directory, but restrict the file in
which the error could occur.  The Parsing Errors messages could then
locate and identify this file for the user instead of locating "errors"
in other files.  

-mark

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/