Subject: Re: Changes in latest snapshot
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 21:24:57 +0100

Christopher Faylor wrote in <[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Sun, 12 May 2002 00:49:43 -0400:

> I'm thinking about making binmode the default, too.

For what it's worth, I'd be happy with that.

Only a few of the POSIX tools I can think of object to CR at the end
of a line in text files anyway. Most just treat it as extra whitespace
which is usually ignored. (Many Windows tools like CL.EXE and Visual
Studio are happy with UNIX line endings too.)

I think the overhead of explicit file conversions or textmode mounts
for certain sub-directories isn't too much of a burden anymore.

Having said that, can I ask for the option to binmode UNC pathnames?
They appear to be textmode at the moment when I use I/O redirection in
the shell from a grep command, even though I've got binmode in CYGWIN.
This makes some things I do with .Xdefaults a bit of a pain. (Xlib
does object to the CRs.)

Thanks.

-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/