Subject: Re: [MinGW-dvlpr] Re: gcc 3.1 [-mno-cygwin and __main ]
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Danny Smith <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:22:58 -0400

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 02:28:55PM +1000, Danny Smith wrote:
> --- Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote: > On Wed, May 15, 2002 at
>11:15:48AM +1000, Danny Smith wrote:
>> >>Perhaps it's time to drop the -mno-cygwin support and just supply a
>> >>cygwin hosted mingw32 targeted cross compiler?
>> >
>> >That is a key question.
>> 
>> I assume that you're talking about the cygwin gcc and not mingw.  If so,
>> the answer to the question is: No.  We can't do this.  -mno-cygwin is
>> needed.
>> 
>> Please don't make me explain why one more time.
>> 
>Ok, I understand that.  Cygwin and mingw have slightly different ways
>of handling global ctors.  The question for mingw developers is more
>accurately: How do we handle that difference if we add dwarf2 EH
>registration to startup code.  Should we try, with marginal
>(maintenance and runtime) cost, to maintain status quo?
>
>I don't know how (when/if) cygwin will implement dwarf2 EH.  Richard
>Henderson's patch was spot on, except for wrong use of -1 rather than 0
>as sentinel for end of eh_frame table.
>
>My preference is to try to keep the differences between mingw and
>cygwin in gcc code as small as possible.

For sure.  I'd like there to be no difference at all, if possible.

I'd like to either create a cygwin-mingw branch on the main repository
or create a completely separate CVS repository so that we could
coordinate patches.  Would you be interested in doing this, Danny?  I
can see that we'll be in patch hell otherwise.  I have a local sandbox
with your changes but it appears to be out-of-date already.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/