Subject: Re: Cygwin Python with a static Python library?
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 23:44:29 +0200

Hallo Jason,

Am Mittwoch, 8. Mai 2002 um 13:50 schriebst du:

> There have been some recent posts on python-list@ regarding whether
> or not Cygwin Python should be built with a shared (i.e., DLL) Python
> library or a static one.  Note that Cygwin Python currently uses a DLL
> library like the Win32 one.

> Does anyone have compelling reasons why Cygwin Python needs a static
> library?  If so, then I will consider submitting a patch to Python CVS
> to enable this for Cygwin.  Unfortunately, it will be difficult to fit
> this cleanly into the Python Unix build infrastructure due to the extra
> steps required to build an executable that exports symbols with the
> current Cygwin binutils.

Perl builds a static version of libperl for bootstrapping, but it gets
not installed.  I think that it is not needed (well I have no idea for
what I should use it).

> See attached for more details, if interested.

That is interesting.  miniperl is not able to load dynamic modules.

=
Can't load module IO, dynamic loading not available in this perl.
  (You may need to build a new perl executable which either supports
  dynamic loading or has the IO module statically linked into it.)
=

Now I think:  What is the difference, to link against a .dll which
exports the symbols or link against an executable which exports
the symbols...?

Anyway, who wants to get a static libperl just needs to rebuild perl
and there it is.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/