Subject: Re: where is cygintl-1.dll?
From: David T-G <[email-masked]>
To: "CygWin Users' List" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Larry Hall \(RFK Partners, Inc\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 13:52:35 -0500

Larry, et al --

...and then Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) said...
% 
% At 10:14 AM 5/10/2002, David T-G wrote:
% >
...
% >   A required DLL file, CYGINTL-1.DLL, was not found
...
% >Any ideas what I need to do next?
% 
% Yes.  Use standard procedure.  Check the FAQ, documentation, and email 
% archives (not necessarily in that order always).  In this case, the FAQ
% provides the pointer for you to find your answer.

Actually, I also looked through the FAQ and the doc.  It took me a while
to find the email archives.

% 
% What packages should I download?
% http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC13

Ah, thanks.  So I started here and actually got nothing; sure, I see
"what packages do I install" and the fact that now it's just a base,
but nothing about missing DLLs.   Through an extended search throught the
archives, which didn't turn up "cygintl" either early or in any Subject:
in the first few pages, I saw that ncurses libs are in libncurses*, which
I do see in my setup list -- and I also saw that the cygintl dll can be
found in the libintl and libintl1 packages and that I should reinstall
them.  I have not the faintest idea, however, where to find them; they're
not listed under Libs in setup.exe and if they're under another category
then I've just plain missed 'em.

...

Oh, no, wait a sec...  By looking (thank heavens I have vim installed
separately, eh?) through setup.ini I find that libintl is in the Devel
section, so I go and look through there.  Imagine my surprise at *still*
not seeing it.  Further digging gives me the hint that it's part of the
gettext package, which I finally find and install.  Yay.  I should be
done, right?

Nope.  Running bash and trying to cat a simple file still gives me the
same error.  Looking in c:\windows and c:\utils\cygwin still doesn't find
it.  AFAICT it didn't get installed.

I look forward to someone providing me some more information, preferably
which will require less than half an hour to sort out to get to the meat.
Thanks in advance.

% 
% Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
% RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
% 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
% Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

TIA & HAND

:-D
-- 
David T-G                      * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [email-masked] * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) [email-masked]
http://www.justpickone.org/davidtg/    Shpx gur Pbzzhavpngvbaf Qrprapl Npg!