Subject: RE: Most current install fails to install cygpng2.dll
From: "Matthew Appler" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Charles Wilson'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 16:28:54 -0400

I am using the setup program downloaded today off of the website.  I
think I have figured out the problem though (well part of it).  Until
today, I had not updated CygWin in quite some time.  I needed a new
package and decided to update as I went.  I do not believe it updated
the libpng2-1.0.12-1 package on my machine.  My guess is the previous
installer I used most likely had the bug causing that package not to
install the DLL and then the new install caused a dependancy failure
with the new version of ps2pdf.  Forcing a reinstall of libpng2-1.0.12-1
installed the DLL properly.

Thanks for the information,
  -Matt

P.S. Of course renaming DLLs is bad..;)  I needed a PDF immediately and
it worked...:)  I am a Windows programmer, and this would horrify me if
it were one of mine!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Wilson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 4:10 PM
To: Matthew Appler
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Most current install fails to install cygpng2.dll

Matthew Appler wrote:

> The program ps2pdf requires cygpng2.dll.

cygpng2.dll is in the 'libpng2-1.0.12-1' package, which can be istalled 
alongside the more current libpng-1.0.13-3, libpng10-1.0.13-3, and 
libpng10-devel-1.0.13 packages.  (You can investigate this yourself 
here:  http://www.cygwin.com/packages/

> However, even with each
> version of libpngX installed, this DLL was not installed.  

Did you try libpng2-1.0.12-1?  I did -- and I got cygpng2.dll.

> Renaming
> cygpng10.dll to cygpng2.dll solved the problem (for ps2pdf to operate
> correctly for me) but I am assuming there is likely differences
between
> version 1 and 2 of this DLL. 

Ummm...yeah.  Big differences.  Don't do that.

>  Checking the archive indicated installing
> a recent version of libpng2, and this was done, but failed to install
> this DLL.  Any advice or is this a bug?

Well, there was an off-by-one error in a recent version of setup.exe; 
the effect was to NOT install the last file in a package.  For a package

with only one file, that means it didn't get installed.  Try updating to

the newest version of setup.exe, and reinstall the libpng2 package.

--Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/