Subject: Repeated setup msgs: "Can't open (null) for reading: No such file"
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:28:46 +0100

Yow, 2 hours and 300+ MB later. "Download and Install from the Internet"
rather than "Install from Local Directory" as in my recent post. I proceeded
exactly as before, selecting absolutely everything for installation and
checking the SRC tickbox too. Almost no errors: Cygwin itself works
properly, as before, but this time the source files were correctly located
in the appropriately named directory under /usr/src/ (NOT a trivial subset
of them in /usr/src/src/). Two strangenesses:

(i) at the appropriate time I got an error message box containing the text:

Warning: deleting "c:\Cygwin/usr/src/expect-20010117-1/tcl" so I can make a
directory there

(ii) at the very end, message box was presented saying "Installation
incomplete. Check /setup.log.full for details.

Apart from the minor glitch at (i) I was not aware of any installation
problems and maybe that was the only one, but I do not know what to look for
in the 7 MB 102,000 line file that is setup.log.full.

Summarising: I think setup.exe still contains minor buglets relating
entirely to the location of source files under /usr/src/. A full
installation from a Local Directory or from the Net seems to result in a
fully functional Cygwin. BUT the Local installation leads to almost total
failure locating source files under /usr/src/. The Net installation is, or
seems to be, almost completely successful apart from a small problem with
the creation of /usr/src/expect.... and with the final "Installation
incomplete" message which might refer to one visible, or to very many
invisible, errors.

I have all 4 of setup.log.* files (two each for Local and Net installation)
but they are extremely large.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/