Subject: Repeated setup msgs: "Can't open (null) for reading: No such file"
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:13:13 +0100

This phenomenon got some traffic during 4th/5th May, but discussion seems to
have died?

For 00th time did a fresh install today. Latest setup.exe.

This is from Local Directory, by the way: but all .tar.bz2 and -src.tar.bz2
and .tar.gz and -src.tar.gz are present in the approprate directory under
/release/, for [prev] and [test] as well as [curr].

Select absolutely everything. This time I selected all the .src files as
well, which I've never botherd with in the past. During installation (which
btw has been successful : everything I've tried, works, as it always has in
the past) repeated message boxes

"Can't open (null) for reading: No such file"

were presented to screen, always with reference to filename -src. Just kept
on clicking the message boxes away until eventually the installation groaned
its way to completion.

I observe :

1. Three sets of source files _have_ actually been installed. They are in

    /usr/src/src/diff
    /usr/src/src/gperf
    /usr/src/src/m4

2. Note double /src/. Is this the correct location?

3. For each of these applications, there is no versioning in the filename
(as in bash-2.05a-3 for instance) : they are just called diff, gperf and m4.
Coincidence or what?

4. On the other hand, byacc-src.tar.gz was not successfully installed into
/usr/src/src/byacc/, so this lack of numbering can't be quite the reason for
this strange phenomenon

5. All the 3 successfully installed sets of -src files arrive compressed
in -src.tar.gz format not -src.tar.bz2 (but there are lots of others like
this)

So it looks as though the "Can't open ..." failure is almost but not quite
reducible to a file-naming glitch? Dunno, but hope this helps.

I have not tried a network installation from scratch, also
incorporating -src files. But I will, now.

They are huge and awful (2 MB), so I will only send the matching setup.log
and setup.log.full if requested.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/