Subject: Re: Setup causes illegal operation on Win 95 (new version worked)
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 20:41:50 -0400

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:03:55PM +0530, Sukhwinder Singh wrote:
>>Windows 95 works well in a dual-boot configuration with Linux.
>>Therefore, my suggestion is precisely that.  If you do, there will be
>>no need to use cygwin
>
>Yes I have Installed Red Hat Linux 7.1 and windows both.  I had to use
>cygwin because for compilation of libmcrypt extension of php on Windows
>I needed cygwin.  Libmcrypt doesn't provide windows vc++ projects(dsp)
>to compile it.
>
>Only reason for me not to use Linux for development is because there is
>no good editor available for Linux.  So, without a good editor,
>development on Linux is not as easy as it is on windows.  Using
>editplus (http://www.editplus.com) we can compile source code of almost
>all languages with a single click of a button.  Gvim and Emacs are good
>but not as good as some windows editors such as Editplus.
>
>Also, Gvim and Kwrite are not as responsive as editplus.  For example
>if I press page down key and don't release it and suddenly I find what
>I was looking for and release the key then Gvim doesn't stop before
>completing all page down events.  KWrite is dead slow.  Also we have to
>learn those keyboard shortcuts to use vim and emacs.
>
>If something similar to editplus was available on Linux I will never
>use windows again.  There are some java editors available like Jedit
>but they are very resource hungry.  And don't work well on my slow
>computer.  If anyone knows about a good editor for Linux similar to
>editplus then please tell me.

Sigh.  If you're interested in linux programs, use a linux mailing list.
Isn't it blindingly obvious that this is a list for discussion about
CYGWIN?

There are all sorts of forums available for linux.  You don't need to
pollute this list with this kind of off-topic discussion.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/