Subject: Missing library routines
From: "Frank Cottrell" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 11:39:11 +1000
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Hi,

I have been using Cygwin for about 5 months now. I am trying to get a free
package (Dibol to C converter) working and further developed - I have so far
overcome lots of environment change requirements and I am nearly there with
the original package, but I have reached a difficult one (well, difficult
for me at least.)

The d2c Run Time Library needs some accurate maths and calls the routines
llround and llabs. My problem is that none of the Cygwin libraries that I
can find have those sorts of long long maths routines.

I researched the problem to the point where I found the routines are part of
the GNU C library glibc, so I downloaded glibc-2.2.5 only to find that it
has not been ported to Cygwin and I could not find any evidence to suggest
such a port is either in progress, or even contemplated.

So, being somewhat new to this wonderful world of Unix/Linux/Cygwin culture
my questions are:

If Cygwin is seriously trying to provide a great Unix style environment
within the Windows environment, then why is this major library functionality
not ported yet - I think I must be missing something big an bad about this
thought.

Is there an alternate library available for Cygwin that provides such maths
routines

Being a lad not easily deterred, I tried configuring the glibc library
with --enable-hacker-mode set and it still fell over, complaining about
cygwin - and so I then read some documentation where I gather that the
library needs some really fundamental hooks into the operating system
environment and then I see that there are sysdep directories to be set up
and populated and then I wonder how much grief there is down this road, so I
decided to ask this list and see what you experts say about all of this.

Frank Cottrell
[email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/