Subject: What's difference between CRON et service PLANNING, regarding to NT ?
From: arnaud GAND <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 16:21:26 +0100

Hello,

My company uses a CAD programm runing on NT 4. This program was running 
previously on UNIX et we made
many periodical tasks with cron. This program runs now in CYGWIN 
environment and everything works fine
in Bash.

However, I tried these days to run this Programm in terminal mode with 
CYGWIN cron and it did not work. The CAD program
is actually made of several modules (several little programs) 
cummunicating with a file created in a working directory.

I made many tests to compare cron with planning service NT regarding to 
my Bash script. My test are done with the local user
Administrator of PC NT 4. Here are the tests made :

1) The Bash script is run under Bash and creates a log file from CAD 
program : IT WORKS

2) The Bash script is run under Bash but Bash  is run first with a bat 
File from service Planning : IT WORKS

3) The Bash script is run as a task with CRON under CYGWIN : IT DOES NOT 
WORK, first module does not work

4) The Bash script was modified, I added theses two lines :
     export USERDOMAIN=AUTORITE NT
     export USERNAME=SYSTEM
     The first module works but as soon as the second module is runned, 
the CAD program stopped with errors

5) I noted same troubles when running the program with rlogin or rsh 
with CYGWIN. First module is running but the second one
not. The error message of CAD program point out problem with 
communication file (unable to open in READ mode).

What is the difference between CYGWIN cron and Planning regarding to NT 
privileges of users. With Planning, it is the user SYSTEM
who runs CYGWIN environment but with cron it is the user Administrator.

Is there en explanation to my problem ???

Arnaud

-- 

Arnaud GAND
SETI Ingénierie Conseil - Le DORAT
tel 05 55 60 65 59
fax 05 55 60 67 02

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/