Subject: Re: Object alignment, was: cygwin failures - assertion "!(addr & FLAGS)" failed:
From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Billinghurst, David (CRTS)" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 May 2002 22:49:56 -0600

>>>>> "Tim" == Tim Prince <[email-masked]> writes:

Tim> The binutils alignment parameter in coff-i386.c is set to 4-byte
Tim> alignment.  4-byte alignment also is the default for gcc -Os, at
Tim> least from gcc-3.1.  Cases have been produced where gcc-3.1
Tim> failed to give 16-byte alignment even with -O2, unless
Tim> -mpreferred-stack-boundary=4 was specified.

Are you talking about only the alignment of the stack?  I don't think
that should matter to libgcj.  There used to be one place where we
stack-allocated an object, but I believe that now there aren't any.
All that matters to us is the alignment of statically allocated
object, and objects created by the GC.

Tom

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/