Subject: RE: Cygwin/GCC
From: Christian Jönsson <[email-masked]>
To: "'Dockeen'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'David Billinghurst'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 16:18:48 +0200

I don't think I know something you don't... I am test compiling gcc from
CVS, both the 3.1 branch as well as trunk a.k.a. 3.2 right now. It also
happens that java/libjava/libgcj is coming along, at least in the trunk
and it might show up in a 3.1.1 release. I'd guess a 3.1 release is due
in a week or two.

Anyhow, the configure, bootstrap/build, and check was started at about
Fri May  3 21:16:37 UTC 2002, and it was done at about Sat May  4
14:13:58 UTC 2002. This, IMHO, seems a bit too long on this Windows
XP/cygwin 1.8 GHz P4 system with 1 GB of memory.

The test results of this build is available at:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-05/msg00117.html

N.B., the many if not most of the test suite failures are due to a know
problem with libtool, a suggested patch, not yet taken up into the cvs
sources is discussed at the thread staring here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-05/msg00021.html

Cheers,

/ChJ

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Dockeen
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 4:33 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Cygwin/GCC

Do you know something I don't.  As far as I know, there is no such
things as gcc-3.1.  gcc-3.1 is under release testing as we speak, and
has not officially been released yet...I have built it under Cygwin a
number of times myself.  The latest "official" release of gcc is
gcc-3.0.4.

Did you mean gcc-3.0.1 and 3.0.2?

When I have built 3.1, I build g77 and the C,C++ compilers only, I don't
mess with Java (which Cygwin isn't really set up to handle yet), Ada
(new for 3.1) or Objective C.  On my work laptop, which is a Pentium 3,
1.1 Ghz, I can build do the configure/make bootstrap/ make install dance
in about 30 - 40 minutes, on my home play machine, which is a P2/400, it
takes from 1 - 2 hours, much of the time in the make part of the cycle. 

If you want, I can send you my "recipe" for building gcc-3.1 in this
way. 

I have not built gcc-3.1 on the work SGI's, I know that gsl, which alos
takes a long time to build, takes comparable time on the SGI as it does
on Cygwin.

Wayne Keen

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/