Subject: Re: How do you pronounce GCC and Cygwin?
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 12:53:17 +0100

Mark Sheppardwrote in
<[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Fri, 3 May 2002 11:15:05 +0100:

> I normally pronounce it with a long "i" sound (s-eye-gwin, as
> in cyclops or cycle), although I've heard others pronounce it
> with a short "i" sound (as in signal) as Cliff seems to.  He
> doesn't speak for the entire country as I'm in England too!

I think the short-i sound is more appropriate since the "cy" part
comes from Cygnus.

> I can't see how you could pronounce GCC other than saying the
> individual letters so I'm not sure why the original poster
> asks about that.

You could possibly pronounce it as the contracted expletive "Jeez!"
;-)

-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/