Subject: RE: using Windows links
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 08:23:56 +0100

If it helps anybody, which it might not : in the entire Cygwin provision
there are I think a dozen *.lnk files. I found that 5 of them induced
objections from Norton ("invalid shortcuts"). As was pointed out to me on
this list, this is a Windows/Norton glitch, not a Cygwin glitch ... but it
bugged me all the same. Also other people have reported problems with *.lnk
files (either their creation or interpretation). So, on my system, I have
rewritten all filename.lnk files as one-line textfiles of the form

    !<symlink>target_

where !<symlink> is as written; target is the target of the original link;
the final character is not actually _ as shown but ASCII 00. There is no
closing <LF>. Then rename filename.lnk simply as filename; remove R
attribute; add S attribute; and that's it. At the cost of some minor editing
effort, Norton is silenced, Windows can't see any things it even thinks are
Windows shortcuts, and Cygwin works as well as ever. Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/