Subject: Re: setup 2.194.2.24: Bug (?) in downloading from internet
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:56:18 +0100

Robert Collins wrote in
<[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:47:16 +1000:

> The *redownloading* is a bug, and will get fixed. 

Okay. Good.

> The 'I want to mirror
> > non-installed packages by using download' is not.

Actually, the re-download fix would go 90% of the way to doing this
anyway, since you could just reselect everything you want again and
again and it'd eventually have the lot even on a slow link.

> A 'normal' install - download and install - works fine, no problems.

Read my and Christopher Faylor's posts especially
<[email-masked]> where we explain where for some
people download and install with the current version of setup.exe does
not work fine.

Even a single package such as the XFree86-fnts one can be a trial on
dial-up connections, taking the best part of an hour. A clean minimum
install of the Cygwin environment takes about the same, I think. 

A model that didn't allow multiple download sessions before a single
install one would effectively bar many dial-up users from installing
Cygwin and/or XFree86 at all. The selective mirroring and local FTP
server route would simply be too much hassle for many just to evaluate
something.

> A reference for this is
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2001-11/msg00271.html.

Ah. Exactly. :-)

So is it worth my while looking at the code with an eye to providing a
patch for this (specifically the checkbox option) or is it work in
progress elsewhere?

-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/