Subject: Re: setup 2.194.2.24: Bug (?) in downloading from internet
From: "Cliff Hones" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:04:48 +0100

Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The bottom line is that if we have to tell someone to use wget or rsync
> just to do a normal install, something is wrong.
> 
> It seems like this problem would be trivially fixed by not attempting to
> redownload something that has already been downloaded.

Hooray.  Seems lots of people have been trying to say this.  A week
ago when it was, for a moment, acknowledged as a bug, I downloaded
the source with ideas of trying to fix it.  But then the mood shifted
back to it being a feature, so I lost interest.

Now Sam Edge is taking the same path.  Good luck.

What would happen if someone did produce a version of setup identical
to the current, except for the removal of redownload?  Would it
be adopted?  One gets an unfortunate undercurrent from this list that
if it wasn't approved by the right people it might be suppressed
(and left to circulate on the black market - possibly the worst
scenario).

-- Cliff

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/