Subject: Re: building iconv/libcharset fails
From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 17:25:28 -0400
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

I've ported it -- but I will not submit it for official inclusion in the 
cygwin distro.  If you want to take my work, and assume the official 
maintainership, and submit it for official inclusion, that is ABSOLUTELY 
FINE with me.  (Also, once the official libtool-1.5 comes out, then the 
libiconv maintainers might accept our patch -- but not until then.  Can 
you imagine?  "What?  You want me to accept a major patch, of over 3M 
size, generated by running an unofficial version of libtool?  Hah!")

Take a look here:

http;//www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/testing/

The -src package contains two patches.  The normal build procedure is to 
unpack the -src package and then:

./libiconv-1.7-2.sh prep
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh conf
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh build
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh install
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh pkg
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh spkg

This procedure uses the *first* patch, the really big one, but doesn't 
require that you have the autotools installed.

The OTHER build procedure

./libiconv-1.7-2.sh prep2
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh conf
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh build
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh install
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh pkg
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh spkg

This procedure uses the second, very much smaller patch.  However, the 
"prep2" step first removes all of the autotool generated files, and 
re-runs the autotools. (That's where the bulk of the first patch comes 
from).  THEN it applies the small secondary patch.

So, "prep" uses the big patch, and no autotools.  "prep2" uses the small 
patch and the autotools.

Note that my version uses "prefix=/usr/local".  You'll want to change 
that to "/usr" in libiconv-1.7-2.sh.

--Chuck

Paul Miller wrote:

> I've been trying to get a gtk/gtkmm setup going, and all was well until 
> I ran into this "little" libiconv dependency to glib. The build of the 
> libcharset library is failing, with this error:
> 
> gcc -O -Wl,--base-file,.libs/cygcharset-1.dll-base 
> -Wl,-e,__cygwin_dll_entry@12 -o .libs/cygcharset-1.dll  localcharset.lo
> /usr/lib/libcygwin.a(libcmain.o)(.text+0x6a): undefined reference to 
> `WinMain@16'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [libcharset.la] Error 1
> 
> I've seen discussion regarding this problem going back almost a year. As 
> libiconv is now a dependency is virtually all gnu software, are we any 
> closer to getting this to build that doesn't require rocket science?
> 
>  From the link error, this *looks* like it could be a trivial problem - 
> shouldn't it be trying to use main() instead of using the Win32 runtime?

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/