Subject: Re: setup 2.194.2.24: Bug (?) in downloading from internet
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:31:35 +0100

Robert Collins wrote in
<[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 20:22:30 +1000:

> > I agree with Daniele. I install different subsets of the 
> > packages on several machines. I also like to keep a copy of 
> > the most up-to-date versions of packages that I don't 
> > currently use on any of them, in case I need them where I've 
> > no (or poor) access to the 'Net. 
> 
> So use a mirroring tool! Setup.exe is -not- designed for this. 

Surely if setup.exe isn't designed with at least a nod to this way of
working why does it have "download from Internet" and "install from
local directory" options, instead of just instisting on connecting to
a server every time?

> If you
> want a setup.ini parsing mirroring tool, take me up on my offer to help
> someone leverage the setup.ini codebase to build a mirroring tool. 

Although I've not looked at it, setup.exe must already have most of
the code required to operate in the way we'd like, surely?

If you tell me the module name(s) for setup.exe and any documentation
about setup.ini and the local and FTP/HTTP server directory structures
I'd certainly be interested to download them from the CVS server and
take a look.

-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/