Subject: Re: setup 2.194.2.24: Bug (?) in downloading from internet
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:17:09 +0100

Daniele wrote in
<[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:44:25 +0200 (MDT):

> After dutifully reading the mailing list discussion on the subject,
> I would like to point out that this behavior - redownloading uninstalled
> packages - was absent 
> in previous versions of setup. In my humble opinion, the downloaded
> packages and the installed packages should be treated independently by
> setup for the simple reason that you may download a set of packages for
> installing on multiple machines, and install a subset of it on the
> downloading machine. In other words should be:
> download from internet: compares repository with packages
> install from internet:  compares repository with installation
> install from local:     comapres packages with installation  
> that is, previous behaviour.

Every version of setup.exe I've used exhibits this annoying behaviour
but them I'm new here.

I agree with Daniele. I install different subsets of the packages on
several machines. I also like to keep a copy of the most up-to-date
versions of packages that I don't currently use on any of them, in
case I need them where I've no (or poor) access to the 'Net. 

Doing this is something of a headache and requires manual checking in
the local package directory (now even more difficult because of its
fragmented nature even when mitigated by clean_setup.pl - thanks
Michael) and in the setup.exe list.

-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/