Subject: Re: ps and linking to cygwin.dll
From: Stephen Powell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 06:52:34 +1000
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

>>>>> "Ryan" == Ryan T Sammartino <[email-masked]> writes:

    > So, if I see a process in 'ps -a' output that is *not* linked to
    > Cygwin dll, that's a bug?

A process spawned by a Cygwin process will be displayed e.g. (the $ is
the bash prompt)

$ which regedit
/c/winnt/regedit

$ regedit &
[1] 1880

$ ps -a
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
     1508       1    1508       1508    ?   18   Apr 24 /usr/bin/cygrunsrv
     1664    1508    1508       1772    ?   18   Apr 24 /usr/sbin/cron
      864       1     864        864    0 1000 04:58:43 /gnu/local/bin/ispell
     1592       1    1592       1592    1 1000 06:05:55 /usr/bin/bash
     1880    1592    1880       1880    1 1000 06:41:16 /c/winnt/regedit
     1760    1592    1760       1524    1 1000 06:41:23 /usr/bin/ps

In this example the parent process (PPID) of the Windows registry
editor (regedit) is the bash shell.

-- 
Stephen Powell
[email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/