Subject: OT: Cygwin at Fault? (Was Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server)
From: "Paul G." <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:59:21 -0700

Not wanting to put salt an open wound...just commenting...fact is, Cygwin can not cause BSOD.  Only OS can 
regurgitate BSODs.

	Also, if you had checked memory dumps, you would probably know it had nothing to do with Cygwin.  
Probably had something to do with a faulty (pirated?) version of the OS which didn't include "all" of the necessary 
.dlls, etc. Or has to do with obtaining corrupted system .dlls, for Win2k Server(s). (Latter is main cause of BSODs in 
most cases).  

	If you have corrupted .dlls, then you have a major problem which may, at the very worst, mean re-installing 
the entire OS and re-deploying the network itself.  Not fun, but most, if not all, MS Operating Systems are known to 
have such problems.  Even so, if the OS in question is pirated, chances are good that regardless of how many times 
you uninstall or reinstall the pirated OS, it will not fix anything.  (Heard recently that one definition of insanity is doing 
the exact same thing over and over again in the expectation that by doing the exact same thing, over and over again, 
you will obtain a different result...)

	Heh, have had to reinstall NT4 and Win9x any number of times due to corrupted .dlls or missing .dlls.  Thus 
the reference to virus scanners etc. as a viable consideration.  You could have a virus.  You could also have a 
corrupted hard drive (niether are Cygwin related).

	Also, some "security" type apps will not allow you to modify necessary files (typically shared .dlls) if you have 
disabled a given "security app" from asking you whether it (eg. Aladdin eSafe) should allow something or not.

	Cygwin can not be responsible for BSODs since Cygwin requires a working OS to exist before it can even be 
downloaded and/or implemented (setup.exe or via manual setup).

	Finally, I know Cygwin has been around (I have been working with Cygwin off and on, in one form or another, 
under multiple MS Platforms) since approximately 1996.

	In all that time, not once has Cygwin ever caused, or been responsible for causing, BSODs on any of the MS 
Platforms I have ever used, including XP-Pro.

On 21 Apr 2002 at 22:04, Cliff Hones wrote:

> cgf worte:
> > ...
> > I appreciate your (Cliff) letting people know about your experiences
> > with Norton on XP. ...
> 
> Actually it was with NT4SP6.  And I can't be sure that it was a
> bug in the Symantic/Norton code, as the system had been 'repaired' and
> the Norton s/w was rather old.  But it does illustrate that 3rd party
> background monitors can confuse and destabilise windows systems.

	It is known that MS does not play nice (due to middleware?) with any third party software which isn't MS 
"certifiable" or any third-party development house which hasn't spent a lot of money on meeting appropriate (MS) 
licensing and/or MS development (old and new) requirements.

	I have to wonder if the cause of the original problem was simply having obtained pirated software.  I know 
there was a company recently (internet based) selling Pirated Windows <insert OS here> software as COTS (New) 
Software.  Only in the last week or two did I find out about this operation.  They managed to defraud their "clients" of 
at least 250,000 USD (could end up being as much as 750,000 USD) before they were shut down by US FTC.  
(Some of those clients were mid-size corporations).

	Fortunately, I haven't been in the market for a new OS lately (using NT4).

	Paul G.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/