Subject: Re: Cygwin maildrop patches and issues (was Re: fetchmail 5.9.8 ...)
From: Rui Carmo <[email-masked]>
To: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:56:58 +0100

Hello Jason.

Nice to hear from you, and exceedingly nice to see that you stuck to 
maildrop. I  reverted to IMAP/SSL to read my mail for a good while 
(since I changed offices and my network connectivity improved 
considerably), and have had little reason to look into the problems in 
more detail.

I have since made a rather dramatic move to the Mac OS X platform (at 
least at home), so that also made a difference... :) But I (and most of 
my team) are still using Cygwin as the cornerstone of our work 
environment, so I'm still paying attention (it's just stuff like this - 
the non-critical work bits) that get put aside for a while.

What you mention is true: maildrop is closely associated with maildirs 
(and it was due to one of my colleagues, who swears by maildir on any 
OS, that I came accross it). I intended to use mutt with maildirs, 
including a shared mail archive we keep, but did not get around to it.

Nevertheless, I'll give your patches a look on my PC. :) Thanks a lot. :)
Will you submit them to the maintainers?

R.

On Friday, April 19, 2002, at 06:48 PM, Jason Tishler wrote:

> Rui,
>
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:45:12AM +0000, Rui Carmo wrote:
>> However, mutt then complains that /var/spool/mail/user is not a valid
>> mbox file, since somewhere along the line, an extra blank line is 
>> inserted
>> at the beginning of the mailbox upon creation. Editing it out by hand
>> solves the problem, but is a rather lame fix.
>
> The first attachment solves the above problem.
>
> Unfortunately, I have discovered other problems:
>
> 1. maildrop appears (at least under Cygwin) to not quite respect
> dotlocking and actually removes the lock file created by other
> processes!  The second attachment "solves" this problem.
>
> 2. maildrop appears to lock in a different order (i.e., dotlock then
> fcntl()) than mutt (and procmail) (i.e., fcntl() then dotlock) so I'm
> concerned about race conditions.
>
> 3. maildrop causes Cygwin to spin while another process has locked a 
> mbox
> via fcntl(F_SETLK).  If interested, see the third attachment for 
> details.
>
> I'm interested in getting Cygwin maildrop to work because it is much
> easier to build (and maintain) than procmail.  Unfortunately, I'm 
> getting
> the impression that maildrop is used more for maildirs than for 
> mboxes...
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/