Subject: 1.3.10-1: Cannot create filenames starting with a period in XP
From: "Joe Drago" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:41:54 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

I have set up a Cygwin install on a Windows 2000 Workstation machine, and
got bash and sshd to run perfectly. I can create all regular files,
including important ones like ".bashrc" in my HOME folder. Following the
same set up, I attempted to set up the same deal on a Windows XP Pro
machine, and although everything -else- works, creating a filename in with a
period (such as .bashrc) is nearly impossible.

So far, the only way I have found to circumvent it is that "mv" will allow
me to rename a file and add a period to the front, but this is not good
enough, as vim complains about the swap/recovery file every time I edit one
of these files.

Is there a setting in Windows XP that I am not aware of, or is this a
limitation with NTFS? My W2K machine runs W2K's FAT32, and
my XP Pro machine runs XP's NTFS (no encryption).

I "STFW" all day, and R'd all of TFMs that I know of, and am at a loss.
Help?

Thank you for reading this, and thanks in advance for any replies,

Joe Drago

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/